Chicken breast is the staple of any diet. Be that to lose weight, put on muscle mass or just to be healthy, chicken breast is at the heart of every meat eater diet!
It is packed full of protein with no carbs and very little fat which is great if you are watching your waistline but also means that it can often taste dry and bland! By adding pesto and baking in foil you solve these 2 problems in one go as well as limiting the mess as all is cooked together in one baking tray!
Off course you can make your own pesto, and I do believe fresh is best, but now a days you can find freshly made pesto (and other pasta sauces in tesco) so if like me you are short of time (or patience) that's the next best thing! I bought the Mattarello Basil Pesto at Waitrose.
Now, pesto do have a good amount of fat in it, but they are all good and healthy fats that will help your chicken stay moist and also help keep you fuller for longer.
This dish is suitable for those trying to lose weight and or on a low carb diet. If you need more carbs, you can always add some sweet potato or I thing it would go really well with buckwheat or quinoa!
Its good to note that I like my veg crunchy so if you prefer softer veg, I'd recommend to pre-cook it before adding to the chicken. 4-5min on a steamer should do the trick :)
- 6 Chicken Breasts
- 150g of Fresh Pesto
- Vine Cherry Tomatoes (about 6 small vines)
- Broccoli, Green Beans and Baby Corn (enough for 6 portions), chopped in chunky pieces
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven at 180ºC
- Cover a roasting tray with foil
- Place the chicken breast on the foil and put a good layer of pesto in each breast
- Place 1 vine on top of each breast and add the rest of the veg. Also add a little salt and pepper to taste
- Cover with foil and place in the oven
- Bake it for 40 min at 180ºC
There you go! A heathy, tasty and diet friendly meal that takes less than 5 min to prepare (plus 40min of cooking), and makes very little mess! Perfect for all you busy people! :)