I don't know about you, but if I had to choose 1 meal to have for the rest of my life, that would be Chilli Con Carne! This was one of the first things James cooked for me (over 8 years ago) and I've been hooked ever since! He certainly found the way to my heart ;)
Since then, Kale has found its way into the Chilli to make it more macro friendly through my competition prep. This recipe has aways been a signature dish for James and a staple at most informal dinner parties held at our house. So I can hardly claim this recipe as mine, but since it was my idea to put the Kale in... I'll claim it anyway ;)
Ingredients (makes 4 portions):
- 500g lean beef
- 1 onion
- 1 stock cube
- 1 table spoon tomato pure
- 2 clove garlic
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 1tsb chilli flakes
- salt & Pepper to taste
- 200g kale
- 1 tin copped tomatoes
- 1 tin kidney beans
- a smidge of oil or cooking spray
- Cover the bottom of the pan with cooking spray (I found a coconut oil spray in Trader Joes in america with is awesome) or a smidge of oil (i like to use coconut or avocado oil). Place the onions and fry until golden.
- Add the mince and stir until it has turned brown.
- Add the tomato pure, garlic, chilli poder, chilli flakes, stock cube and mix well
- Add the kale and mix until it has reduced in size.
- Add Chopped Tomatoes and salt & pepper to taste.
- Let it simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes
- Add kidney beans and let it cook for a further 5 minutes
- Serve with rice, nachos or rice cakes (as in the picture)
Macros per serving (of Chilli only):