I posted this recipe on Facebook in December 2014. I made a whole bunch to give away to family and friends as a Christmas present and it was a
After a few attempts, I finally found a granola formula that works for me... a modified recipe from theroastedroot.net.
It is crunchy and slightly sweet, full of goodness and healthy fats! There will be some protein in the nuts, but I always aim for at least 20g in every meal so I like to add this granola to my favourite Kinetica Vanilla Caramel shake for a yummy protein rich breakfast! But it also goes amazingly well with greek style yogurt!
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup diced dates
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 150 C° and line a baking sheet (or 2) with parchment paper.
- Add the first 4 ingredients to a blender or food processor and pulse until nuts are chopped in small pieces and NOT into a fine powder. You want so e bigger nut chunks for extra crunch!
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg white with the water until slightly foam
- Add the coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt to the foamy mixture and whisk together well.
- Mix the dates and desiccated coconut with the chopped nuts and pour it into the wet mixture, mix well.
- Spread the granola mixture evenly on the baking sheet(s) and bake for 40-50 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes to ensure it cooks evenly, but do not stir for the last 10 minutes before you remove the granola from the oven!
- Once golden-brown and crispy, remove from the oven and allow it to sit for 10-20 minutes or until cold. This is when the magic happens so be patient if you want crunchy clusters!
- Once cold, store in air tight container(s).
-Serve with milk, as a crunchy topping to yogurt or with my favourite kinetica protein shake for that extra protein hit!